It is currently April 25th, 2014, 1:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Closing the Philadelphia Consulate
Unread postPosted: June 25th, 2009, 4:59 pm 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Italy has announced that they plan to close the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia.

The consular services will be divided among the Consulate General in New York, the Consulate in Newark, NJ and the Embassy in Washington DC.

If you would like to sign a petition in protest of this decision please stop into the Consulate and speak with a consular agent.

A copy of a petition is also attached as an Adobe pdf file and as a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.

You can download it here:
http://www.eddieadolf.com/ConsulatePetition.zip

We urge everyone to strongly voice their opposition to the decision by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to close the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia. Sign petitions, send e-mails, make phone calls... We need to keep our Consulate open! Thank You

Send petitions and express your opinions to:

Italian Consulate
Public Ledger Building, Suite 1026
150 South Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Consul General Luigi Scotto: Luigi.Scotto@esteri.it
Vice Consul Renzo Oliva: Renzo.Oliva@esteri.it

Post subject: Re: Closing the Philadelphia Consulate
Unread postPosted: June 25th, 2009, 6:48 pm 

We should keep in mind that the closing of a consulate affects not only those living in that consulate's jurisdiction, but also those whose consulates pick up a larger workload. Philadelphia has been one of the easier consulates to deal with, and it would be a shame to lose it.

Unread postPosted: June 25th, 2009, 8:21 pm 

I agree. I experieced a one week turn around with the vice consul earlier in the month. I think it would be a shame and surrounding consulates will certainly have negatively affected response times as a result of this closure.

Unread postPosted: June 26th, 2009, 9:49 am 

It's interesting that they just raised Newark from a Vice Consulate to a full consulate. Newark is located 10 miles from the NY consulate, so I fail to see any sense in this.

Unread postPosted: June 26th, 2009, 4:16 pm 

Location: Sierra Foothills, CA - Applied at Philadelphia consulate
This makes me wonder how people like my mother will reference my application in Philadelphia at another consulate? Anyone have thoughts on that?

Sorry if this is a threadjack, but it does seem relevant to accepted Philadelphia applicants and their relatives referencing.

Unread postPosted: June 26th, 2009, 4:37 pm 

If we do lose the consulate in Philly, most likely your records would be transferred to the new consulate that serves your jurisdiction. I don't blame you for being concerned, but let's hope any change is made in an organized manner.

Unread postPosted: June 27th, 2009, 11:58 am 
I am sad because this probably means that Lia will lose her job or have to go back to Italy. She was so nice to my Dad and I. Also, where is the official notice of this? I couldn't find anything on the net?

Unread postPosted: June 28th, 2009, 12:03 am 

Not just Detroit and Philly-
Quote:
BELGIO In Belgio si procederà all’accorpamento degli uffici del consolato e dell’ambasciata operanti a Bruxelles. Verranno inoltre chiusi l’agenzia consolare di Genk, il consolato generale di Liegi e, in prospettiva il vice consolato di Mons. In questo ambito si provvederà al rafforzamento della sede consolare di Charleroi che dovrà gestire un bacino d’utenza di 230mila italiani. Saranno 130mila le persone seguite dall’ufficio di Bruxelles.

FRANCIA Per la Francia si prospetta la soppressione del consolato di prima classe di Lilla e del consolato di Mulhouse. Un cambiamento che porterà a 110mila il numero degli utenti del consolato generale di Parigi e a 80mila persone il bacino di utenza di quello di Metz.

GERMANIA Quattro invece le strutture da chiudere in Germania: il consolato generale di Amburgo, il consolato di Norimberga, l’agenzia consolare di Mannheim e il consolato di prima classe di Saarbrücken.

REGNO UNITO Dal piano viene inoltre prevista la soppressione in Gran Bretagna del consolato di Manchester, i cui utenti verranno dirottati verso i consolati generali di Londra (140mila) e Edimburgo (30mila),

SVIZZERA e la chiusura in Svizzera del consolato generale di Losanna, dell’agenzia consolare di Coira e il declassamento del consolato generale di Basilea a consolato.

STATI UNITI Negli Stati Uniti è prevista la soppressione del consolato generale di Filadelfia e del consolato di prima classe di Detroit.

AUSTRALIA Per l’Australia è stata invece indicata la chiusura dei consolati di Adelaide e Brisbane che farà lievitare il numero degli utenti dei consolai generali di Melbourne (55mila) e Sydney (45mila).

SUD AFRICA Previste anche la chiusura del consolato di Durban in Sud Africa, le cui competenze passeranno al consolato generale di Johannesburg (20mila utenti), e il declassamento dei consolati generali di Gedda (Arabia Saudita), di Karachi (Pakistan) e di Alessandria (Egitto). Chiusa anche l’ambasciata italiana a Lusaka (Zambia).

http://www.italiachiamaitalia.net/news/137/ARTICLE/16096/2009-06-16.html

It's due to budget cuts:
Quote:
Il bilancio prevede dei tagli ingenti per il finanziamento delle rappresentanze estere - del 50% per il 2009 e un ulteriore 50% per il 2010", dichiara Stefano Palombo, Presidente del "Comitato degli italiani all'estero"

Unread postPosted: June 28th, 2009, 12:33 am 

Carlo wrote:
It's interesting that they just raised Newark from a Vice Consulate to a full consulate. Newark is located 10 miles from the NY consulate, so I fail to see any sense in this.

I doubt distance is the prime issue. It's work load. Things like Italian population. Amount of support needed for Italian companies. Visas issued. Etc. Newark might just be there to ease the load on New York.

Unread postPosted: June 28th, 2009, 3:21 am 

I'm in shock about this!!! This will affect both of the consulates I am applying through!

I did a quick translation and it sounded as if it was a "plan" not necessarily something that is definetely going ahead. However I could be wrong. Could someone who is fluent in Italian translate it better.

Also do we have a timeline?

Other consulates to be closed are:
Liege, Brussels
Genk, Brussels
Lille, France
Mullhouse, France
Hamburg, Germany
Nuremburg, Germany
Mannheim, Germany
Saarbruken, Germany
Manchester, United Kingdom
Lausanne, Switzerland