It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Document Authentication
UNREAD_POSTPosted: February 15th, 2012, 8:55 pm 

To authenticate documents that originate in a consular jurisdiction other than the one to which you are applying send the following:

1. Original apostilled document (BC, MC, etc.) and copy.
2. Translation.
3. Request letter (template attached)
4. Release (template attached) (note: NY is now requiring that this form be notarized)
5. Payment - enclose a money for $8.10 per translated page (fee changes quarterly and can be located on the consulates' tariff schedule as Art. 71A). NY and Philly post a tariff schedule, I am not sure of the other consulates but the fee should be the same at all. NY and only NY accepts Visa or Mastercard in addition to a money order, they charge a one time $4.00 transaction fee. (Alter the template letter if you are enclosing a money order.)
6. Self addressed stamped envelope (your choice of delivery method, first class mail, priority mail, fedex, etc.)
7. Copy of your photo ID.

You can personally deliver your documents for processing and some consulates will process your documents while you wait. NY will process your documents in person by appointment, directions are posted in general information under consular services/citizenship. Processing in NY is approximately 2 months by mail.

Attachments:
File comment: Release
Template Statement for NY Consol.docx [10.28 KiB]
Downloaded 66 times
Template Letter to NY Consol Requesting Authentication.docx [12.29 KiB]
Downloaded 61 times

Last edited by JJ313 on June 20th, 2012, 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Document Authentication
UNREAD_POSTPosted: February 17th, 2012, 2:43 pm 

Anyone submitting documents for authentication at NY or NJ should expect to be charged the fee PER PAGE OF TRANSLATION. I was charged $43 for the authentication of my one page marriage certificate! In comparison the one page marriage certificate authenticated in San Francisco required a payment of $8.50 (12/2011) even though the translation was printed on two pages.

So, tighten those margins and shrink that typeface for fewer pages and a lower fee. I learned the expensive way.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: February 17th, 2012, 5:08 pm 

I sent my NYC MC (2 pages) to NY for authentication and they sent back a one page statement of their own creation. But I agree with you it is per translated page, so watch those margins. I edited the original post.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 12th, 2012, 9:58 pm 

I have a question about this considering it takes almost 2 months to get documents authenticated in NYC for my appt in Newark. If it's getting too close by the time I get all my documents fixed, translated and apostilled to send it in and hope I get it back on time, can I bring it to Newark and have them send it to NYC (even if it taked a bit longer)?

I guess my question is - are there 2 options

1) The preferred option would be to pre-authenticate the documents so the application is hopefully processed and approved faster
2) Go in without having them authenticated and let the consulate send them out to get authenticated at the expense of adding 6 months to the application preocessing.

Is either option viable?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 13th, 2012, 9:51 am 

The best approach would be to have your documents authenticated prior to your appointment.

If this can't be done in time then go with what you have. The consulate will let you submit the documents after your appointment. Boston (and possibly SF) is the only consulate so far that will send the documents for you to be authenticated.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 13th, 2012, 11:59 am 

I got my NY documents authenticated after my appt in Detroit (only because I didn't have time to do it beforehand). I only had to get my BC and MC authenticated (nothing for my F, GF, or GGF) - that probably save me money because I probably would have gotten every doc in my direct line authenticated/legalized. (And and note that the NY consulate calls it "legalized" - see below.)

These were the instructions for authentication/legalization that I got from the NY consulate a couple months ago (you might check to see whether anything has changed). You need to make sure your translations have the same number of pages as the original document. It used to be that they'd take multipage translations (even if they charged more). Now they need to be the same number of pages.

In reference to your request pertaining to the legalization of Vital Records documents, issued in the States of New York and Connecticut, to be presented to the Italian Consular Office where you reside to claim Italian citizenship through ancestor:

send the original documents legalized with the Apostille and translated into Italian, plus 1 set of copies; ( if the US certificates are 1 page, the translation should also be 1 page, not 3). Please check our website under the Vital Records Section which indicates the type of certificate required. Note that if they are not in the long form format, they will not be legalized by this office.
a copy of a valid passport and credit card information (American Express card not accepted), including the expiration date and CCV security code in payment of the fees, which we are not able to quantify, as it depends on the number of documents and the number of pages. A receipt will be mailed to you with the documents;
a pre-paid self addressed envelope for the return of the documentation to you;
the document validation form below completed, signed and notarized.
The undersigned…………………………………………………………………………

Born on………………………………………….in…………………………………………..

Residing:………………………………………………………………………………………

Passport no……………………………………….

Issued by……………………………………………….
(Please include copy of your passport)

The undersigned assumes all responsibility for the mailing of the original documents in the pre stamped self addressed envelope and will not hold the Consulate General of Italy in New York liable for the loss or damage of the documents while in transit.

Date

Post subject: Re: Document Authentication - and misspelled names
UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 17th, 2012, 8:27 pm 

I am sending 5 documents to NY for legalization tomorrow and I'm sending them with the misspelled names. As I I understand this part of the process, they're verifying these official documents, that is, that the apostilles and translations are legitimate and accurate. They're not processing my application, which will be done in LA and for which I'll have addressed the misspellings.

I hope I'm right. I'm trying to keep the momentum going.