It is currently September 16th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Legge 5 febbraio 1992 n.92 Art. 5
UNREAD_POSTPosted: September 25th, 2009, 10:42 am 

The text says:
Art. 5.
1. Il coniuge, straniero o apolide, di cittadino italiano acquista la cittadinanza italiana quando risiede legalmente da almeno sei mesi nel territorio della Repubblica, ovvero dopo tre anni dalla data del matrimonio, se non vi è stato scioglimento, annullamento o cessazione degli effetti civili e se non sussiste separazione legale.

Meaning that a foreign spouse acquires Italian citizenship with 6 months' residence in Italy or 3 years of marriage, barring dissolution, annulment or cessation of civil effects, if there is no legal separation.

The San Francisco Consulate answered my by e-mail in July 2009, informing me that I just missed it because of a new provision going into effect in August of 2009 under which I would no longer qualify (spouse deceased).

Has anyone found the text of the new provision yet?

Post subject: Re: Legge 5 febbraio 1992 n.92 Art. 5
UNREAD_POSTPosted: September 25th, 2009, 11:11 am 

I didn't realize the new law applied to the death of the spouse, but you might want to read here: http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2620055123/m/741107052

UNREAD_POSTPosted: September 25th, 2009, 11:39 am 

Thanks, Tiffany. This looks like the item, all right. Now I'm puzzled. The document is a circolare, or instructions to officials concerned with the process. I gather that the consulate's reply was based on the part that says: "se il vincolo matrimoniale non sia cessato al momento dell’adozione del provvedimento."

If that is the case, then the "new provision" does not change anything but government policy. The wording of the law itself remains substantially as it was: "cessazione degli effetti civili del matrimonio."

Full text:

http://www.governo.it/GovernoInforma/Do ... 9_n.94.pdf

[program refuses to put in the whole link: GovernoInforma/Dossier/sicurezza_legge/legge_15_luglio_2009_n.94.pdf

UNREAD_POSTPosted: September 25th, 2009, 1:18 pm 

The new law also changes the moment before which the marriage cannot cease: from the moment of application (the norm under legge 91/1992), to the moment when the spouse's citizenship is actually decreed and presented by sindaco or the consulate.
Quote:
L'articolo 5 della legge 5 febbraio 1992, n. 91, è sostituito dal seguente:
Art. 5. - 1. Il coniuge, straniero o apolide, di cittadino italiano può acquistare la cittadinanza italiana quando, dopo il matrimonio, risieda legalmente da almeno due anni nel territorio della Repubblica, oppure dopo tre anni dalla data del matrimonio se residente all'estero, qualora, al momento dell'adozione del decreto di cui all'articolo 7, comma 1, non sia intervenuto lo scioglimento, l'annullamento o la cessazione degli effetti civili del matrimonio e non sussista la separazione personale dei coniugi.

The intent is to prevent marriages of convenience, terminated after submittal of an application. Tragically, it punishes the innocent as severely as the guilty.