It is currently July 24th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Name Discrepancy!
UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 8:26 am 

SMaffucci, you are helped by the fact that your grandmother put both names on her marriage certificate. If your father is still living, you can amend his birth certificate in NYC with a certified copy of his mother's birth certificate. The marriage certificate serves as confirmation of the name irregularity.

If your father's document is from NYS or if he is no longer living, it may be more difficult to get the amendment, but the certified marriage certificate will help in that it demonstrates the connection between the two names. That may be sufficient evidence for the consulate.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 8:35 am 

emily wrote:
SMaffucci, you are helped by the fact that your grandmother put both names on her marriage certificate. If your father is still living, you can amend his birth certificate in NYC with a certified copy of his mother's birth certificate. The marriage certificate serves as confirmation of the name irregularity.

If your father's document is from NYS or if he is no longer living, it may be more difficult to get the amendment, but the certified marriage certificate will help in that it demonstrates the connection between the two names. That may be sufficient evidence for the consulate.

emily, thanks,

unfortunately, the document is from NYS, but thankfully they are both living. I already have a document signed by my grandmother and notarized explaining the discrepancy, that I plan on translating for showing to the consular officer, but if it's a no go, I guess I will have to file a court order to have NYS dept of health change it. I just don't know anything about the process of filing a court order... but I'm hoping it wont come to that if the consular officer is in a good mood.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 1:10 pm 

I am applying in Miami-- does anybody know how strict they are with discrepancies?

I am going through my GGF. MANY docs have misspellings, and some docs use the Americanized version of his name (as well as docs related to my GGM). Even my parents' docs have small discrepancies -- instead of an "a" in the name the doc reflects an "e", etc. Most of the errors are minor and obvious (at least to me). For example, my GF's birth certificate spells his last name correctly, but misspells my GGF's last name by one letter (which of course is the same last name).

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what it would entail to fix some of these docs-- in some instances, I do not have the authority to amend the records, even if I wanted to do so.

I spoke with someone about the situation, and was told that you can file an affidavit along with your application to correct minor errors such as these.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 2:46 pm 

Miami is known to be one of the pickiest consulates with discrepancies. The most recent case that comes to mind was a girl applying with last name discrepancies - Alfonsi (in Italy) to Alfonso (male) and Alfonsa (female). Miami rejected her application. Last I heard she was trying to amend every single document.

Affidavits are specifically asked for in the SF consulate documentation and I know they have worked at other consulates. However, I do not remember or think that Miami was one of them.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 3:09 pm 

Wow, that is depressing news. I think just about every document has some sort of discrepancy. I don't think I would have legal authority to even make the necessary changes to some of the documents, especially the older ones that are more than 50 years old.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am applying in Miami-- does anybody know how strict they are with discrepancies? I am going through my GGF. MANY docs have misspellings, and some docs use the Americanized version of his name (as well as docs related to my GGM). Even my parents' docs have small discrepancies -- instead of an "a" in the name the doc reflects an "e", etc. Most of the errors are minor and obvious (at least to me). For example, my GF's birth certificate spells his last name correctly, but misspells my GGF's last name by one letter (which of course is the same last name).

As Tiffany said, it appears Miami is very strict:

**From the Miami application: CHECK CAREFULLY ALL DOCUMENTS TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO DISCREPANCIES OR CHANGES (ALSO MISPELLING) IN THE NAMES, LAST NAMES, DATES AND PLACES OF BIRTH.

**From another forum: Miami will not accept ANY discrepancies in the last name. My mother was with me, the person whose name is spelled wrong. Prior to the appointment I had my mom sign an affadivit, I had that apostilled and Miami still said no. I went on to explain that the change was made to keep the Italian pronunciation. She understood but firmly stated that the only way they can accept any discrepancy is with a court order.

**Another post from that forum: For future posters, Miami will not accept a document with any surname discrepancies, no matter how trivial or obvious or small. All documents but have the same surname and same date of birth, or your application will be rejected. Miami will also not accept an affidavit. In fact, she said that she won't even look at them. All documents must be corrected. The consulate officer was very specific about this and emphasized it multiple times in a phone call just last month. I'm in the process of 4 separate court orders because of this.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 4:01 pm 

OK-- just so I understand what I think needs to be done-- when we say "discrepancy", that means all discrepancies, including information not concerning the certificate holder (meaning the name of his parent, etc.)?

Does discrepancy also include omissions? If for example, a document lists a no middle name, but subsequently a middle name is listed in a different document?

This will certainly be a difficult task.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
OK-- just so I understand what I think needs to be done-- when we say "discrepancy", that means all discrepancies, including information not concerning the certificate holder (meaning the name of his parent, etc.)? Does discrepancy also include omissions? If for example, a document lists a no middle name, but subsequently a middle name is listed in a different document?

That is my understanding, given what I've read about the Miami consulate. Then again, I haven't completed the process yet (nor am I going through Miami, thank goodness). Anyone else want to confirm or correct our interpretation?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 4:30 pm 

Any way you could move to another jurisdiction?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: June 17th, 2009, 4:50 pm 

No, I am in here for a while, and so will have to go through Miami.

The good news is that I think everything can be amended. I just called the vital records people and discussed the situation, and it sounds as if I will be able to make the changes needed. It will, of course, take time (and more money) for the amendments. I just need to get all ducks in a row to make sure all amendments are consistent, etc. before starting that ordeal.