It is currently June 29th, 2017, 12:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Boston Appointment Recap - 14 March 2017
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 1st, 2017, 11:14 am 

Applying jure sanguinis via my GF and F. Went to my appointment in the blizzard! The official had responded to my email the night before and said to come in as early as possible. Took the bus from Seacoast New Hampshire to South Station. Arrived at Consulate across the street just before they opened at 9:00am. (My original appointment was at 11:15 am). He met with me soon after. I took the 11:00 bus back (last bus was at noon.). He said it would take "months" to process and I would have time to get the additional documents. Can communicate by email now.
Need:
1. My U.S. Passport to be copied.
2. Divorce decree (translated) and statement of final/no appeal divorce, even through my ex-husband is deceased.
3. USCIS/Homeland Security naturalization for my grandfather (I had requested but not received.) I had certified GF naturalization from National Archives.
4. Italian marriage certificate from Civil authority instead of Church record which I had a copy of.
Surprises:
1. That I need the original certified birth and marriage certificates for my grandparents who were born and married in Italy.
2. That the translations need to be Apostilled. The translations were done in Massachusetts, so I can request there.
Had:
1. Money order - the Boston website publishes the $ equivalent for the quarter, so that made it easy to purchase ahead of time.
2. Utility to verify residence, Drivers license.
3. All other birth/death/marriage/divorce certificates, apostilled and translated.
4. Applicable forms filled out from Consulate website.
Helpful:
1. I used the spreadsheet tracking form, modified for my situation. Posted on this forum under forms. Thanks for posting. :)

My children will be applying after me, so I will request 3 copies of each form from Italy, since they each live in U.S. states covered by Italian consulates. Next to follow-up ...

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Boston Appointment Recap - 14 March 2017
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 1st, 2017, 1:27 pm 

If there is a divorce as you mention in item #2 you will also need the separation agreement as well as translated / apostilled.

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 12:33 pm 

jmalaspino wrote:
If there is a divorce as you mention in item #2 you will also need the separation agreement as well as translated / apostilled.

Do you mean a legal separation prior to a divorce? There was no documented separation in my case.

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm 

I have been married to my husband for 34 years. This is my 2nd marriage. I was married for 2 years before that, then single for 10 years. Now married 34. Will I need to provide proof of my first marriage and divorce?

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 4:03 pm 

I have tried to find this spreadsheet. Can you send a specific way to find it? Here is what I read in your post:

I used the spreadsheet tracking form, modified for my situation. Posted on this forum under forms. Thanks for posting. :)

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 4th, 2017, 4:07 pm 

carolspencer wrote:
I have tried to find this spreadsheet. Can you send a specific way to find it? Here is what I read in your post:

I used the spreadsheet tracking form, modified for my situation. Posted on this forum under forms. Thanks for posting. :)

Reply:
It is the "Certificate Tracking Spreadsheet" posted on the Template forum in June 2009. It was on the 5th (last) page of that forum when I looked just now.

Apologize for calling the forum 'forms' instead of 'Templates'.
Linda

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 4th, 2017, 4:15 pm 

carolspencer wrote:
I have been married to my husband for 34 years. This is my 2nd marriage. I was married for 2 years before that, then single for 10 years. Now married 34. Will I need to provide proof of my first marriage and divorce?

Reply:
Is your Italian ancestry from your own parents/grandparents, etc. ? Are there children? Were they from the 1st or 2nd marriage?
I can't say definitively, but my children are from my marriage with my ex-husband. My children will be applying and so they will probably need their parents (his and mine) marriage/divorce records.

My cousin was divorced, and his children were from his first marriage. He applied in NYC and had to get a letter from his ex-wife that his divorce was final. I was asked to do something similar at my Boston appointment.

I think they just don't look fondly on divorce.

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 12th, 2017, 12:00 pm 

LCFreeman wrote:
3. USCIS/Homeland Security naturalization for my grandfather (I had requested but not received.) I had certified GF naturalization from National Archives.

So the certified copy you got from the National Archives were not enough? I am also going through Boston and I just contacted the archives a few days ago. Should I cancel that and get it from USCIS instead?

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 15th, 2017, 4:10 pm 

unnuovogiorno wrote:
LCFreeman wrote:

So the certified copy you got from the National Archives were not enough? I am also going through Boston and I just contacted the archives a few days ago. Should I cancel that and get it from USCIS instead?

Reply:
The NARA copy is good to present in Boston as a backup. I would also go ahead and request the USCIS copy. At least you can say you requested it. USCIS takes so long. I tried to check the status of my request the other day, and realized I hadn't received confirmation that they had received it. No actual case # with the correct number of digits/letters that I could enter online. The check was cashed.
I did both a search request in mid January (can be done online) and a record request at end of January. Haven't heard back from either.
Just checked the USCIS website, and there is a form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, that you can clip to the front of the USCIS request to get text or email when your request is accepted. That probably gives the case number too. No additional charge. Not sure if it can be filed after the fact, but will look into. Wish I had known that before.

Report this post

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 24th, 2017, 1:11 pm 

I had two previous marriages and divorces - one which was very short and long ago with no children; the second one longer and with one child - and they wanted to see both marriage and divorce certificates as well as proof of no appeals for the divorces when I applied.

My daughter was an adult when she applied and they did not ask for her father's birth certificate.

I can only speak to my own experiences. Perhaps things have changed since then or perhaps different Consulates have different requirements. I applied in 2011 at the now closed Newark Consulate. My daughter also applied there in 2013.

Report this post