It is currently May 29th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: ITALIANO OR ITALIANA
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 18th, 2017, 12:27 pm 

On my Italian passport, its lists my citizenship as Italiana - although I am a male. Does the word Italian not have a gender when speaking about citizenship?

Post subject: Re: ITALIANO OR ITALIANA
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 19th, 2017, 3:21 am 

Citizenship (cittadinanza) is a feminine noun, and the adjective (italiana) must conform. For example:

Oggi Giorgio è italiano. Ha ottenuto la cittadinanza italiana solo 6 mesi fa.

So you, a male, are italiano. Your citizenship is italiana. You might also have American citizenship (la cittadinanza americana), as a possible example. Or Singaporean citizenship (la cittadinanza singaporeana), as another example. You might be my American friend (il mio amico americano), my Singaporean boss (il mio capo singaporeano), her Sicilian enemy (il suo nemico siciliano), etc. And note how "her" is suo, masculine, in this case because you, the enemy, are masculine.

To pick yet another example, you, a male, might be dirty (lui è sporco). Your hand (la mano) might also be dirty (la sua mano sporca). Both men and women usually have hands, and their hands are feminine nouns even when they are attached to men. And yes, sporco(a) can have many meanings.

Men possess many feminine nouns, and women possess many masculine nouns. Grammatically, Italian is full of gender bending, as it were, except when it comes to adjectives and their proximate nouns. Cittadinanza is always a feminine noun, and so the adjectives that modify it or characterize it are also feminine.

People-related nouns can bend sometimes, and sometimes not. For example, cittadino is available in all these forms:

cittadino (a male citizen)
cittadina (a female citizen)
cittadini (two or more citizens, at least one of which is male)
cittadine (two or more citizens, all female)

But persona (person) doesn't bend. It's always a feminine noun, even when the person/people are male. Only these forms are available:

persona (person)
persone (persons/people)

And there's also la gente (people). In Italian it's a singular mass noun, always feminine. Very, very rarely le genti (peoples) is possible, basically when referring to multiple tribes or similar.

Post subject: Re: ITALIANO OR ITALIANA
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 19th, 2017, 8:48 am 

Thanks BBC. Very interesting.