It is currently May 29th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: USCIS Found record, however Court where GGF naturalized,"No"
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 11:49 am 

I was wondering if someone could explain something:

I sent in an index request to USCIS for my GGF and after 5 months they returned a letter with a C-File number stating he naturalized on 11/28/1916 in Court of Qtr Sessions of Philadelphia. Ive since sent in a request for the record through USCIS.
However, simultaneously I decided to go directly to the court of Qtr Sessions in Philadelphia and after 6 weeks they sent me a letter saying they have no record of my GGF naturalizing.

My question: how did USCIS find something and not the exact court where he naturalized?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer.

Post subject: Re: USCIS Found record, however Court where GGF naturalized,
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 12:56 pm 

Did you ask the Court of Quarter Sessions directly? Because it looks like the City Archives maintains those records: http://www.phila.gov/phils/docs/invento ... .htm#21.18

Appointment Requested: July 20, 2015
Appointment: May 9, 2017
Recognized: TBD

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 1:38 pm 

I did ask the City Archives. I checked where I mailed the request and it matches the link you provided.

Philadelphia City Archives
Suite 150
3101 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

I spoke with a supervisor (they were extremely nice and helpful) however, they couldn't find anything. Thats whats weird. I was wondering how USCIS found something but not the specific court where he naturalized. Bear in mind again, I found the court from the information on the USCIS letter. NARA comes up with no record found either.

Anybody else experience this? or know why this is?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 2:32 pm 

It is possible it was lost or destroyed by the archives (or the original court). USCIS should always have copies of everything because everything was sent to their predecessor agency, the Bureau of Immigration (at the time of your ancestor's naturalization). Did USCIS find it using the name you provided or a slightly different one? If so, you may want to ask the City Archives to search again using that name.

Appointment Requested: July 20, 2015
Appointment: May 9, 2017
Recognized: TBD

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 19th, 2017, 2:31 pm 

There is one other potential place (though I don't know specifically if it would apply to your situation):

"For copies of county naturalization records (naturalization papers, declarations of intention, alien dockets, etc.) kept by county officials in Pennsylvania, consult our microfilm listing and physical holdings listing for Record Group 47, Records of County Governments. Original copies of these records are generally held at each county's courthouse or historical society."

Source: http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Researc ... ation.aspx

You might get the archivist to certify the copy, if it can be located.

Appointment made: October 2014
Appointment date: May 18, 2016
Recognized: February 3, 2017