It is currently May 29th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Name change issue - necessary documents?
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 19th, 2017, 6:23 pm 

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue on name changes.

My first name was changed as a minor (age 13). I have the court order from NJ indicating that my name was legally changed. However, my birth certificate was never amended, as the country where I was born (and only lived until age 2) does not do amendments to birth certificates.

Has anyone ever had to produce documentation pertaining to a name change? Is the court order sufficient if I do not have an amended birth certificate?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Name change issue - necessary documents?
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 19th, 2017, 11:58 pm 

I am not sure if the court order will be sufficient, but it will be necessary. There is a good probability that it will be enough, although you might have to give some kind of explanation. I changed my surname and amended my birth certificate. As my last name on my birth certificate was different than those of my parents, a copy of the court order was requested. What might work in your case is a copy of the court order and, if you can possibly get it, a copy of a letter or official policy that says the country of your birth does not amend birth certificates. I also had some issues with my mother's surname on her marriage certificate and a letter from the vital records agency saying they would not change records in spite of the fact that she may have had different names satisfied the consulate.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 21st, 2017, 3:08 pm 

My Father (Direct Line) changed his last name in 1950. The court order was all that was needed. I petitioned through SF Consulate.

PS, I did NOT need an Apostille or a Translation for this document.

Birdmon

Consulate - SF
Appointment - 7 Oct 2016
Final Document Submitted - 13 December 2016
Line - Me<F<GF<GGF
Status - Recognized 15 December 2016
Comune - Camigliano, CE

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 27th, 2017, 7:12 am 

My last name was changed. The court order was good enough for the submission, but I'm required to present an amended birth certificate prior to taking the oath.