It is currently June 29th, 2017, 12:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: How can I become an Italian Citizen? Odd family situation...
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 12:59 am 

My mother was born in Rome and immigrated to Australia at age 4. She used to have an Italian passport and citizenship, however her passport expired over time, and both her parents (my nonni) are also Italian.

My father however, was born in Australia. His father was born in Italy (in Veneto) and immigrated to Australia at age 11, I don't know if he became a citizen of Australia at all (I know old Italian people who have been here for decades and still aren't citizens yet), however he died tragically 8 months before my father was born. His mother, was also Italian, but she was still an Italian citizen at the time of my father's birth. Since she was his only living parent, and didn't meet his Italian step-father until my father was 9, does her citizenship transfer over to my father? My father said he's never bothered to get an Italian citizenship, however I don't know if I can become a dual citizen through my father or mother.

It'd be ridiculous if I don't qualify, since I'm genetically 100% Italian and my mother was born in Rome.

I'm 17 years of age and I speak Italian, however I've never thought of getting a citizenship until now and I don't know exactly how to go about it.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How can I become an Italian Citizen? Odd family situatio
UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 4:32 am 

DSprite wrote:
It'd be ridiculous if I don't qualify, since I'm genetically 100% Italian and my mother was born in Rome.

Not at all ridiculous. It's not genetics. This isn't some sort of eugenics movement. ;)

1. Did your mother naturalize as an Australian citizen? If so, when?

2. Yes, it's quite likely you have a citizenship recognition claim on your father's side. I assume your father was born after 1947, although even if he wasn't that's not a real problem.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 5:14 am 

Not sure what you mean my "eugenics movement". Never heard that term before.

My mother never naturalized, her PARENTS did whilst she was still under-aged.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 6:59 am 

DSprite wrote:

Then your maternal line doesn't work. I would focus on your paternal line.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 8:17 am 

BBCWatcher wrote:
DSprite wrote:

Then your maternal line doesn't work. I would focus on your paternal line.

My mother still had an Italian passport though up until 1990 something, but then it expired - it wasn't "taken off her" or anything. How could she be an adult with an active Italian passport if she wasn't a citizen? As far as I'm aware if my Australian passport expires, I'm still an Australian.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 20th, 2017, 8:48 am 

That's not how it works. According to Italian law pre-1992, naturalization ended Italian citizenship. And to clarify, since your mother was a minor when her parents naturalized, she automatically naturalized with them, thus losing her citizenship.

That your mother retained possession of an Italian passport to which she was no longer entitled, means nothing. The Italian consulate would not have been informed of her naturalization and would not have requested its return. They will definitely be aware of the naturalization if you attempt to apply through that line.

Take a look at your father's line. It looks promising.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 21st, 2017, 3:07 am 

There are plenty of people who don't qualifiy for JS recognition who are of "100%" Italian descent.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 21st, 2017, 11:46 am 

So true. And many qualify with much less than 100 percent Italian descent. It's all about the law.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 21st, 2017, 11:54 am 

DSprite,

When, exactly, did your maternal grandparents naturalize?

If it was after 5 February 1992, your mother likely would not have lost her Italian citizenship, even as a minor, since dual/multiple citizenship became recognized by the Italian government from that point.

I'm asking because you didn't say when your mother was born, or what year your grandparents naturalized. So, depending on the relevant dates, there's a possibility that your maternal line could work. For example, if she was born in 1979 and your grandparents naturalized in 1994, she wouldn't have lost her Italian citizenship.

Is there a way to find out for sure in what year your grandparents naturalized?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: April 21st, 2017, 2:55 pm 

MareTirreno wrote:
DSprite,

When, exactly, did your maternal grandparents naturalize?

If it was after 5 February 1992, your mother likely would not have lost her Italian citizenship, even as a minor, since dual/multiple citizenship became recognized by the Italian government from that point.

Except DSprite is seventeen years old, meaning he/she was born in 1999 or 2000. It's highly unlikely the mom naturalized as a minor after 1992 especially since DSprite focuses on the loss of Italian citizenship and passport in 1990. It's possible, of course, but not probable.