It is currently May 29th, 2017, 12:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Planning to move to Italy - research sites/blogs?
UNREAD_POSTPosted: November 29th, 2016, 6:01 pm 

I'm in the process of collecting documents for my JS application and my appointment with the SF consulate is for Feb. 2018 - so I've got a bit of time. I'm in the process of researching a move to Italy as my family and I want to relocate once we receive our passports. I'm 41, my wife is 38 and I have two kids, 5 & 2.

I want to learn as much as I can about the experience in advance of the move. I've been learning Italian for 6 months, and my wife and I are looking at cities and neighborhoods. The company I work for has an EU presence, so there's a good chance I'll still be working for them when we move so I won't have to look for work when I arrive.

Does anyone have any suggestions on blogs/vlogs/etc. where I can find some good info on the experience? I've been scouring Google for the past 6 months or so, but wanted to see if anyone here could suggest sites (other than this one, of course) with in-depth info on the relocation process.

Thanks!

Appt: 13 FEB 2018

Post subject: Re: Planning to move to Italy - research sites/blogs?
UNREAD_POSTPosted: November 30th, 2016, 2:54 am 

Since you have time to do your research think about a couple of holiday trips to visit areas that you are interested in. This will give you an idea of housing, schools for the kids and the employment picture. If possible can you open a discussion with work on the chance they would be open to a transfer once you are recognized?

Working for a company with an EU presence and a transfer would be a great way to make the move. Knocks off the biggest step of finding work in your field.

According to what you do for work might be a factor in where you end up living. The economy is still not great, unemployment still on the higher end of the scale, (not that you should let that stop you if you look hard enough you can find work). There can and will be a marked difference in the salary you earn in the States vs Italy. Good to look into what you can expect now and not get a surprised. Retiring made not looking for a job the easy part.

I had done my research and had spent several years of travel back and forth getting to know the lay of the land. The biggest learning curve has been how to get through the medical maze. Once you understand how it works you adapt from what you know in the States. We have found it in most cases better than we were used to in NY!

Blogs are good but first hand experiences are priceless. You know what you are looking for, your needs and the what the family requires. Spending time visiting will let you see things first hand.

To me the biggest expense for a family of 4 will be how much do you ship and getting a handle on that number is important. It can be expensive and based on your current location you need to budget living out of suitcases for what could be 6-8 weeks.

Hope I don't sound negative..... my only wish -- I had moved sooner.... living in Rome has been outstanding.

dwr

First appt - June 2010
Second appt - July 2011
Last document dropped off Oct 2011
Recognized - March 2012
Comune- Aliano
Residence - Rome

UNREAD_POSTPosted: November 30th, 2016, 6:03 am 

Before we moved to Italy five years ago, I relied heavily on the Expats in Italy website for practical information about the move, daily life, where to buy things in Italy, how to deal with bureaucracy, etc. Unfortunately, that website has been offline for a few years now. However, someone else has taken over the domain name and is partially resurrecting some of the features. I see that a number of interviews with expats have been restored. While they are at least a couple of years old, you may find them helpful:
http://www.expatsinitaly.com/articles-o ... views.html

And here is a huge list of one expat's favorite blogs by other expats:
http://girlinflorence.com/blogs-i-love/

Good luck with your research and move. Like dwr above, we were retired when we moved to Italy so didn't have to worry about finding a job. We love it here.

KattB

UNREAD_POSTPosted: November 30th, 2016, 7:40 pm 

Thanks for the help!

DWR - we are planning our first trip to Rome for sometime next year, so I definitely want to get my feet on the ground there before we move. I'm just looking for as much info as I can in the meantime. I'm not too concerned about shipping things - we've been paring down on our possessions steadily for the past 2 years and have even gotten rid of a number of things we were intent on taking with us. I expect that by the time we get there, we'll have very little that we're taking. I'm also still undecided about where we'll live, but our trip there will help us with that one as well. So glad to hear that you love it, though - I know that there are so many things we can't predict or prepare for, but I am just to excited about the opportunity!

KattB - thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Trust me - I am VERY lucky to be with a good company that I like!

I'm open to any other suggestions you folks have. Thanks again!

UNREAD_POSTPosted: December 1st, 2016, 1:10 am 

When the trip to Rome is set contact me and will can get together for a coffee. Glad to give you our spin on things and how we did our move.

Like you we had an 'estate sale' while still alive. Got rid of almost everything. We did ship one small chair and one small table along with 60 medium size boxes. Lived outside NYC and it took 11 weeks for the stuff to arrive (Christmas fell in the mix). Apartment was furnished so we were set. Even at that level our total shipping bill was just over 6k. Now we have purchased what we like and what was here has been moved to storage.

dwr

First appt - June 2010
Second appt - July 2011
Last document dropped off Oct 2011
Recognized - March 2012
Comune- Aliano
Residence - Rome

UNREAD_POSTPosted: December 9th, 2016, 8:35 am 

Davey,

It's good to start your research on your move as soon as possible.
We are going to Italy for 6 months next trip to get the best feel that we can. This will be our fourth visit of our relocation.
All visits so far have been 6 weeks or less, now we will try 6 months.
During this visit we will make our definitive choice. Whether to remain in Italy and where we like the most.

Relocation information will vary tremendously.
Once you are recognized, then you can eliminate many problems people encounter, residency.
When I was researching, this was the main concern of many ex-pats and a huge focus.
Next is learning the language. If you are already studying then don't stop but the best practice is speaking regularly where you are or on the ground in Italy.
Medical seems daunting to me still, as dwr has stated. I'll learn once there.
Housing, banking, schooling, ect... are all things to prepare for but these can all be changed once you arrive if you don't like them.

Our last hurdle will be our belongings. We will put them in storage in a few weeks. After six months, we will decide what to do.
I have not researched shipping things yet. I hope to whittle down our things so I do not have to give it much thought.
We have eliminated a lot. But there is always something we have a difficult time parting with. Antiques, heirlooms and such.
Time will tell.
Now all that is on my mind in the 17th of January, our arrival in Rome.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 1:02 pm 

Following...

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 3:54 pm 

Got back from my Rome trip a couple weeks ago. Sorry I didn't reach out, DWR - I completely forgot about this thread with all the craziness of getting ready to leave!

It was just spectacular and totally motivating to complete the JS process. Still learning the language (a year or so into lessons) and researching like crazy. Hope other expats have some thoughts or advice they can share!