It is currently May 29th, 2017, 12:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Getting Married in Italy After Obtaining Citizenship
UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 2nd, 2017, 7:42 am 

I obtained my citizenship a few years ago in Chicago. My fiance (an American citizen) and I are planning on getting married in Italy in September. I have found the requirements for American citizens getting married in Italy and I've found the requirements for Italian citizens residing abroad getting married in Italy, but I haven't found anything about the paperwork required for an Italian citizen residing abroad to marry an American citizen in Italy.

Has anyone here gotten married in Italy after obtaining your citizenship? If so, please let me know what was involved - the whole process is giving me flashbacks to applying for dual citizenship! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Getting Married in Italy After Obtaining Citizenship
UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 17th, 2017, 7:13 pm 

I think it depends on what you intend to do afterwards. If you're just getting married in Italy because it's nice and you like it, and then are going back to the US I think you just have to register your marriage back home.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 17th, 2017, 10:53 pm 

The United States has no registration of marriages established outside the United States. There's nothing to do back home.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 8:22 am 

We're getting married in Italy for fun - coming back to the U.S. after. My understanding was that all we need to do when we return to the U.S. is to get our marriage certificate translated. We're still trying to figure out what we need to do before we get married. There's some paperwork that we need to get from the consulate before the wedding that's only good for 90 days. Unfortunately, the Chicago consulate won't let us even schedule an appointment until 90 days before the wedding, so now we're just waiting until that point...

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 2:17 pm 

GOderda wrote:
My understanding was that all we need to do when we return to the U.S. is to get our marriage certificate translated.

Not really, no. Just ask the Italian commune to issue an "international format" marriage certificate, and that'll already be translated.

It's quite simple on the U.S. side. There's no marriage registration and no particular need to provide a marriage certificate to anyone. For example, you just start filing a U.S. tax return using one of the "Married" filing statuses. You don't have to provide any documentation of your marriage to the IRS. (In an audit, maybe, very exceptionally, but otherwise no.) As another example, one spouse might add the other to his/her U.S. medical insurance policy. But I've never heard of any demand for a marriage certificate in those circumstances.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 3:59 pm 

Do you have any familiarity with what we need to do in terms of actually being allowed to get married once we're in Italy? The U.S. embassy's website says that American citizens getting married in Italy need to have a Dichiarazione Giurata sworn at the U.S. embassy in Italy. My wedding planner says that we don't need to do that since I'm an Italian citizen (she said it doesn't matter that my fiance is an American citizen), but I want to be sure.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 10:37 pm 

The requirements for Italians apply to you, and the requirements for non-Italians apply to him. Your wedding planner may be mistaken.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 19th, 2017, 7:45 pm 

Quote:
It's quite simple on the U.S. side. There's no marriage registration and no particular need to provide a marriage certificate to anyone. For example, you just start filing a U.S. tax return using one of the "Married" filing statuses. You don't have to provide any documentation of your marriage to the IRS. (In an audit, maybe, very exceptionally, but otherwise no.) As another example, one spouse might add the other to his/her U.S. medical insurance policy. But I've never heard of any demand for a marriage certificate in those circumstances.

For my health insurance with the state of New York I was asked to provide a marriage certificate plus any other document showing I was with my wife. Other documents could be an income tax return, a mortgage statement, lease, bank statement, or a utility bill. Then every five years or so they do an audit and I need to produce the documents again.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm 

How strange - that's good to know...

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:59 pm 

That's exceptional, I'd say, but OK, no problem. Just ask for the "international format" ("formato internazionale") marriage certificate from the commune, and that's that.

FYI, legal civil marriage is not the same thing as a wedding. If you want to get legally married somewhere, then have a wedding ceremony/party elsewhere (and at some other point in time), no problem.