It is currently May 29th, 2017, 12:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Checking if municipality has my marriage certificate
UNREAD_POSTPosted: February 27th, 2017, 9:01 pm 

I received citizenship in 2010 from SF. I presented them with my marriage certificate at my appointment. Does anyone know if the municipality has my marriage certificate? I think they would have it as a part of my AIRE. I'm not sure how to find out. The SF Consulate requires that the municipality have our marriage certificate as a part of my wife's Citizenship through Matrimony.

If they do have the certificate, how do I request it? Is is a simple request via mail?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Checking if municipality has my marriage certificate
UNREAD_POSTPosted: February 28th, 2017, 12:50 am 

Duronia wrote:
Does anyone know if the municipality has my marriage certificate?

They recorded the marriage (the data) in Italy, yes. There's now an Italian record available.

Quote:
If they do have the certificate, how do I request it? Is is a simple request via mail?

Yes, exactly. You can look in the Templates section of this forum for possible sample request letters if you need one.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 7:23 am 

If you require the Italian copy for a JM application you need to request a copy of the Estratto di ..... - not just the certificate. Be aware that the Estratto has a 6 month life only, after which you would have to request a new one.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 1:03 pm 

about that 6 month shelf life for the marriage extract- that is not a universal - checking a few consulates- SF and Chicago limit the estratto to 6 months, although LA and NY do not- it is ridiculous to limit the marriage extract to 6 month shelf life- it is not like a criminal report! If the marriage ends, well then you have a whole new set of divorce docs, right?

Cons: SF
1st appt: Feb 2011
2nd : March 2011
Rec. lett : April 2011

Pigbk:
L: Me> D
Cons: SF
Appt: Jan 2013
Rec. letter: March 2013

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 18th, 2017, 3:54 pm 

I would appreciate any advice regarding how to get a response from the municipality that has my marriage certificate. I had my translator draft both an email and a letter, and then sent them to the municipality. That was two months ago for the email and one month ago for the letter. I shared my email and cell phone details, and have not heard back from them. It is strange because they were very quick to send me my grandparents birth certificates and marriage certificate. Thoughts?

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 19th, 2017, 2:54 am 

I had a similar problem, and so I had a relative call and tried some other things and... long story short, they required ID and didn't bother to tell me that. I resent the request via fax with copies of our passports and they emailed it to me right away.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:16 am 

Thank you! I will give that a try.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 26th, 2017, 5:32 pm 

DLA -- That was a great suggestion! A relative in Rome contacted the Comune. The Comune told him that they don't have a copy of my birth certificate nor my marriage certificate. They are going to contact the SF Consulate. I am surprised that the Comune didn't receive those documents from the Consulate as part of my citizenship application and AIRE.

I just sent an email to the cittadinanza and AIRE contacts at the SF Consulate to ask for their help and see if I need to do anything further with the Consulate to get those documents to the Comune. I hope to hear from them soon.

UNREAD_POSTPosted: May 27th, 2017, 10:52 am 

Antonia,

The marriage certificate has no shelf life as it is simply a record of that marriage on the day of the marriage.

The Estratto includes any details of any divorce or other settlements since the date of the marriage etc - it is not just a copy of the marriage certificate - they are two different documents. So, yes, the Estratto is like the criminal records check and does have a shelf life.

Since all documents have to go to Rome and the Ministry at Rome have the final say, then you will have problems if the commune ignore the date of the Estratto. But note that the date is frozen on uploading, so the upload date is critical and has to be within 6 months of issue of both the Estratto and Criminal Records check. That maybe why you think the commune has accepted older documents.

Hope that helps,

Rose